Saturday, February 26, 2011

Newbery Medal-When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me
by: Rebecca Stead
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead was a fascinating story! I couldn't stop reading it until I finished the book. This story was about a young girl growing up in New York. She lived in a small, lower class, apartment with her mom. The story took place in the late 1970's. What I liked most about this book was the comments that kept me wanting to read on and find out what it the world the author was talking about. What I mean by this is, every once in a while she would throw in something that wouldn't make sense with what I had read so far and the main character would say that she didn't know that yet. The details of the relationships and feelings the main character was having was amazing. I felt like I could almost feel what she was when she was talking about losing her best friend, making new friends, realizing how she was treating others and how to be a better person. One thing I feel that almost all students can relate to is the feeling of not being good enough. In the story Miranda, the main character, had made friends with a girl whose family had more money than her own. She described how she felt when her friend and her father came to her house for the first time. The main idea of the story was something I didn't realize was happening until almost the end; time travel. I am not usually interested in books or movies about time travel, but this one changed my opinion of these types of books. I would definitely recommend my highest fifth grade readers read this book. (In fact, I already have recommended it!) Because of some of the complex ideas of time travel, it may be difficult for some students to follow. I think that stronger fifth and sixth grade readers and seventh graders would greatly enjoy this book. I know I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment