Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Lion and the Mouse

The Lion and the Mouse
by: Jerry Pinkney
"The Lion and the Mouse" by Jerry Pinkney is a picture book that tells the classic story of how a tiny mouse helps a lion using beautiful pictures. The first thing that caught my eye about this book was the large lion on the front cover. The detail in the cartoon lion was great. I could see by looking at the eyes that there was something off the page that the lion was focusing on, this had my interest from the beginning. Though I had not seen this book before, I have read a few versions of the story about the lion and the mouse. I instantly thought about this story and the lessons we had on it in our reading series from when I taught first grade. This book would be a great extension from those lessons. I always like to show my students different versions of stories and how people think differently. The pictures throughout the book were all as beautiful and as detailed as the cover. Though there were no words, the story was easily understood. I would definitely recommend this book to any child, parent or teacher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment